Mechanical/ Electrical Engineer
Farnell Packaging Limited is a family owned and operated flexible packaging manufacturer. Employing over 200 people at our Dartmouth, Nova Scotia facility, our responsive and dedicated staff continues to produce quality solutions guided by our founder’s values and today’s evolving marketplace.
We are seeking highly motivated individuals to join our team in the role of Mechanical/ Electrical Engineer. Reporting to the Plant Engineer, the Mechanical/ Electrical Engineer is responsible for assisting with engineering project management and oversight of facility and equipment upgrades (as directed by the Plant Engineer). The Mechanical / Electrical Engineer will also work with Production and Maintenance personnel to ensure production equipment is efficient and effective to meet our requirements.
The Mechanical/ Electrical Engineer, in coordination with all areas/departments, defines, implements and manages a risk-based strategy for area of control in order to meet the business, Safety, Environmental, Financial and Operational objectives at minimum cost and in the safest manner.
The position exists to perform the engineering activities by ensuring optimum outputs are achieved in the most economic and safe manner whilst underpinning the integrity and infrastructure of the plant.
Key Job Duties:
- Manages activities related to changes or modifications of Farnell Packaging Limited infrastructure, equipment or facilities as directed by the Plant Engineer.
- Ensure the safe and effective introduction of new equipment, capital expenditure and technologies.
- Determine training requirements and recommends training plans (engineering related).
- Helps to Develop and Monitor Engineering KPI’s and find ways to improve
- Identifies areas for engineering and financial improvement, makes recommendations to the Plant Engineer and VP Operations.
- Assists in process and equipment improvements where opportunities have been identified.
- Assists any contracted maintenance personnel when required.
- Implements strategies in alignment with the Leadership team initiatives and provides clear sense of direction and focus.
- Actively participates in waste reduction and recycling of designated materials.
- Manages Projects per the Farnell Packaging Limited Project Management Plan
- Professional Engineer Designation required. (P.Eng)
- Will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a process, technical or engineering role.
- Demonstrated expert understanding of maintenance and engineering processes and strategies:
- Process Improvement
- Equipment optimization, upgrades and improvement
- Chilling systems and distribution
- Exhaust ventilation systems, vacuum conveying
- Demonstrated previous success in introducing risk based engineering techniques into industrial/manufacturing organizations.
- Demonstrated ability with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Knowledge of flexible packaging, including blown film extrusion & flexographic printing considered an asset.
- Professional project management training considered an asset.
- Automation, PLC, Industry 4.0 and IOT considered an asset.
- Eight (8) hour shifts; may also work additional or flexible hours based on changing project or internal/ external customer demand.
- Required to sit for long periods of time performing computer work
- May be required to climb several flights of stairs
- May be required to carry a Company provided cellphone and answer calls to give direction or help problem solve. (as per Company on Call Policy guidelines)
Farnell Packaging Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Please advise if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.